November 6, 2014
MARC Pavilion, Modesto Maidique Campus
8:00-8:30am Registration and Breakfast
8:40-9:00am Opening Remarks
9:00-10:00am Symposium I: "Obstacles and successes for women at work: From prisons, to plant nurseries, to politics"
- Working conditions for Plant Nursery Workers in Miami-Dade County, Cynthia Hernandez
- Mean Girls at Work, Caressa Rolle
- Why Women are so Under Represented in Politics, Sheyla Marimon
- Incarcerated Women as Conflict Training Facilitators: An Initial Review of Motivations, Chaundra Whtehead
- Poto Mitan: Women as Economic Pillars in Haiti, Nicki Fraser
10:00-11:00am Symposium II: "Objects and pioneers: Cross-cultural depictions of women in the media"
- From Objects of Desire to Sexual Agency, Augusto Bejar
- Investigating th eEffects of Sexually-Objectified Media Images on Women's Leadership Aspiration, Margarita Manon
- Self-Objectification and Stereotypes of African American Women in Reality Television, Adriana Medina
- El Culto de Maria: A Feminist in the Catholic Church, Virginia Morgan
- Breaking the Metal Ceiling, Amelia Pridemore
11:00-12:00pm Keynote address "Disrupting the Abuse-to-Prison Pipeline for Women and Girls" by Lindsay Rosenthal, Ms. Foundation for Women 2013-2014 Fellow and FIU Alumna
12:00-12:30pm Meet the Speaker: Round Table with Lindsay Rosenthal
12:00-1:00pm Lunch - Poster and Artwork presentation
1:00-2:00pm Symposium III: "The ups and downs of being a minority at work"
- Sexual orientation and leadership: How being gay affects perceptions of fit for management positions, Renzo Barrantes
- The Latina leadership advantage: How Hispanic women can leverage their identities to succeed, Vanessa Quiroz
- The effect of stereotypes on the success of women and minorities in STEM, Ryan Jacobson
2:00-3:00pm Symposium IV: "Combating and addressing violence against women and girls: A historical and global examination"
- The Magical Scapegoat, Marlyn Henriquez
- I decide when,…I decide who, Shawna McNair
- Dismantling the Root of Systematic Patriarchy, Anthony Paz
- Intimate partner violence in Hispanic Communities, Shannon Quintana
3:00-4:00pm Symposium V: "Ask a working woman"
4:00-4:50pm Symposium VI: "Health and well-being in LGBT communities"
- Bear Trap: Vulnerabilities Within the Bear Community, Narciso Rodriguez
- The role of minority stress in the psychological and social functioning of lesbians, Ben Fay
- Under the Invisibility Cloak: The Transgender Community in Miami, Brionna Powell
4:50-5:00pm Closing Remarks
For the Conference Registration Form, please click here.*